Friday, November 7, 2008

Clarification

Jeff,



I don't have time at the moment for a larger response, but I did want to clarify before anyone is whipped into a frenzy that the "compromised shell of a man" actually referred to McCain. The larger quote was a "compromised shell of a man who once fought against the tide", referring to how I (and many people from what I have heard) respected McCain and his accomplishments more before he lost much of his credibility in cowing to the base. The "smooth talking radical" did mean Obama. My point was that America could have been- and should have been- represented better on both sides. Maybe it's the result of the two-party system, maybe it's the fact that only millionaires can run for president these days, maybe it's the unwillingness of good people to throw themselves into the pit- I really don't know. But, no kool-aid was consumed by this girl on either side this time around. I can best describe my voting attitude as looking for the lesser of two evils. (Not that I think either man is evil- I do believe they are both well-intentioned.)
See, this is how wordy I get in even short clarifications! That's why I'll leave it to Monica and her theology-know-how to respond to the questions. I can't rule out jumping back into the debate, though. If there's one common gene in the Brown family, it appears to be the impassioned letter-writing one!
-Kateri

No comments: