Monday, March 3, 2008

The Big Dog turns 60






Douglas Brown, Sr - also known as "The Big Dog" put together his own 60th birthday bash this past weekend. We were a party of 11 (Mom&Dad, Doug&Di, Mel&Rob, Amy&Gene, Pat&Heather, and me and my shadow) and "party" is the appropriate word when this crowd gets together. We started off with some drinks at the Alex Hotel (E45th street), and then made our way over for a matinee of "Rock and Roll" at the Jacobs Theater. If anybody was expecting "Broadway Musical" type "entertainment", they would have been disappointed, but we were treated to an excellent performance of a well written play which mixed some English intellectuals invloved in the Communist party with the Czech "revolution" and the following Soviet repression. The music of the times was the thread throughout the play. I guess my father's love for the music, as well as his love for all things Czech (my mother is Irish/Czech) inspired him to get tickets for this show. I am happy he did, there was a lot of food for thought in the play (plus excellent acting and writing), as well as a good time in general. Pat was especially inspired by the dialogues discussing the different levels of concsiousness and the relativity of truth, as you can see here :








After the play, we went back to the hotel for a cocktail in my parent's suite : here's the view from their suite :










After our cocktail party, we made our way to "Le Perigord", an excellent french restaurant (Big Dog's choice, and a good one!). We had a great meal with lots of great wines before making our way back to the hotel.




It really was an excellent weekend, and I'd just like to give a shout out to Julie and Brian Doyle (and their kids) who looked after Constance for me, which enabled me to partake fully in the Manhattan festivities.


Jeff

No comments: